Date Tags Engine

There is a lot to write about on this build and when I get a chance I will update with pictures on all the problems found with the engine that led up to this rebuild.

But for now, we'll go through the build. I had Gordy at Pfaff Engines machine the block and get it all squared up as well as balance the new Callies Magnum crank. Since he already had these parts I gave him the new Oliver rods and the JE pistons I was reusing. I had him do the assembly on the bottom since I don't have all the tools to measure all the bores and do the proper checks.

At this point I have already installed the oil pump and just have the pan on to keep debri out. Here I as checking the fitment of the new AFR 325 heads and ARP studs.

Those are some nice and shiny used JE pistons thanks to the baking soda I ran through a sand blaster on them.

Now for the road block part of this build. I will try my best to describe what was going on here. Once I installed the cam without the chain on but with the gear, it wouldn't turn. It actually had a grinding feeling to it. When I pulled the gear back off this is what the retaining plate looked like.

As you can see there is a shiny groove about .020" wide starting to wear into it at the inside edge.

Here I put the bearing upside down on the plate and you can see the ID of each is the same. The inner flange with the 3 tabs is what was cutting into the plate.

Now I flipped it over the way in gets installed. Makes it a little more obvious.

This is how the bearing goes on the gear.

Measuring the ID of the plate it is 1.686".

Now measuring the ID of the thrust plate that rides against the retaining plate is 1.846".

The ID of the bearing is 1.689". That's only .003" wider than the retaining plate.

As you can see here the retaining plate is a tight fit on the cam gear where the bearing mounts.

The fix was the machine the hole larger on the retaining plate 1.863". I went almost .020" over the ID of the surface it rides on just to have a little cushion of error.

Now the plate looks like it will work without turning into a disaster.

Here the retaining plate is installed on the engine.

Now either no one checks this when installing this timing set or mine was just screwed up. I think no one checks. After talking with my cam guy that sold me the kit it was right and he never seen this problem. Others I talked to haven't either. But I did go to 2 different GM dealers and bought 3 retaining plates to make sure that wasn't the problem.

On with the build.

Setting TDC on degree wheel and getting ready to degree cam.

Measuring for new pushrod length needed to get proper rocker arm geometry.

Heads, Pushrods and stud girdles all installed. Lash all set on this solid roller.

Intake manifold, Intercooler, Blower and Carbs installed.

Working on all the fuel lines now.

Everything installed including exhaust manifolds and ignition. This is where I put it on stands that sit on the ground and fired it off. I had to make a harness from the engine to the boat so all the gauges would work. I wanted to make sure it was going to run before I took it to Pfaff Engines for the dynoing.

Loaded up ready to hit the dyno.

Here are some small clips of me sitting in the dyno room with Gordy of Pfaff Engines. I really wish I could have got more videos but for some reason didn't.

Now the interesting part about this, Gordy asked me how much power it would make. I said 1000HP. He said he had never seen that blower make that kinda power. After seeing the results he had a few questions about the overall build and complimented me on the great build. Of course I didn't give out all the specs. This is where it pays to work with someone like Bob Madera of Marine kinetics and get the cam custom built for the specific application taking into account all the parts in the build. We talked for hours over multiple calls discussing my requirements and the trade offs. Talk about making some big power.

Hoisted up and going back into the boat.

Sitting back in her home.